So I almost burned the house down the other day.

I decided to try a new recipe out from the Smitten Kitchen site - Dijon and Cognac Beef Stew.
It is one of my favorite sites to get recipes from. Plus Deb Perelman was recently in Seattle promoting her new book at Third Place Bookstore and I felt the need to make one of her recipes.






What could go wrong? I haven't caused any major damage in the kitchen in years. *Cough*
Little did I know.

The recipe called for the browning of the beef which I had finished up. Then to deglaze the pan with half a cup of cognac. I didn't have cognac, so I used brandy. Same difference. The problem came about when I went to add it and I tripped over my beagle.


My girl Byron likes to hang out right next to the stove, hoping that whomever is cooking will drop something tasty.

I trip over my beagle and basically end up tossing half a cup of brandy on the gas stove top and some of it into the pot. Can you say.... FIRE?!!!

During the extremely tall flames and shock, the following thoughts were running through my head:

  • Holy Shit! My house is going to burn down!
  • Should I grab the fire extinguisher around the corner? (I forgot I had taken it in due to a recall).
  • Troubleshooting...troubleshooting. OMG, OMG, OMG, those flames are really tall!
I finally ran up and turned off the stove and threw the lid on the pot. I managed to slightly scorch my hand getting the lid on the pot. 

The pot survived. The filters in my new kitchen hood did not. I've only had that kitchen hood up for a month. Photo of stove top and kitchen hood so you can see how much space there was in between, and the melted filters.


That was enough destruction in my life for this week. Lessons learned? Be careful cooking with alcohol and pets. Know what you're going to do if anything catches on fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resource guide for women in tech events.

Geeking at home.

Introduction!